Egyptian Maus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Egyptian Maus

All about Egyptian Maus, the only naturally spotted domestic cat and the first domestic cat, likely worshipped back in ancient Egypt.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Cat food and digestion

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Laura_Wintermuse

Cat food and digestion Empty
PostSubject: Cat food and digestion   Cat food and digestion EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 12:22 am

We feed Wintermuse Nature's Balance Limited Ingredient Diet for the most part. She gets Duck and Pea dry food and 2 cans of wet food a day. To be honest, she doesn't eat them all. She's only 7 lbs and probably full grown by now. Very slender girl.

In addition, as a treat, we give her Soulstice shreds. She loves the chicken shreds, but they give her gas, and it doesn't seem like much food in the can. However, when she gets the shreds, she cleans her plate, so I guess she ends up eating the same amount no matter what.

Gas and digestion is the reason we put her on LID (Limited Ingredient Diet). We originally fed her Pro Plan and Fancy Feast as per our breeder Evelyn's recommendation. Kitten's stomachs are very sensitive, so you should stick with whatever they were eating before you got them and not worry if they have some stomach problems the first days in your house. However, weeks went by and she still had gas and veryyyy loose stools. We took her to the vet, and they ruled out parasites. We switched her to LID, and it helped a lot.

However, even though she's now an adult cat with a mature digestive system, she still gets gas and loose stools. When we give her Soulstice as a treat, we can smell the consequences soon after. I've read on Petco.com that other people have this problem with Soulstice. However, if we deign to give her a tiny bit of our human food, the same problem results. She just has a super delicate system. I'm not sure if this is her or Egyptian Maus in general. Let me know!

Despite these consequences, and her thin appearance, she is a scavenger. I've seen many people note that Maus love their food, and she is no exception! She wants whatever we are having - the mere act of seeing us put food in our mouths invokes her desire. (In fact, I use this in training her to do tricks.) However, once she gets what we have, she sniffs it and might not want it. She won't swallow things if she doesn't think they smell delicious. She'll just bat them around like toys. She'll also stare longingly at our dinner from her spot near the table, but she won't try to take it.

She's so adorable at dinner. We have a table with two chairs. She likes to sit in our laps while we eat and stare at our forks. She looks sooo sad and paws at the fork but never actually touches it. She wants it so badly but knows better. We recently put a tv-dinner table next to the dining room table so that Lou had a place to put pizza boxes, and I had an ironing surface. It's her new perch for dinner.

She'll sit on her little table and watch us eat. She'll reach out her paw longingly, but then drop it. She'll start to step on the table, but she knows she's not allowed, so her little paw wavers above it, then retracts. It's sooo cute. She wants so bad to be a good kitty, but watching us eat makes her so hungry! It's endearing to know she understands the rules and that they override her instincts.

Here is her patiently waiting at dinner:
Cat food and digestion Egyptianmau_dinner-300x155
Back to top Go down
tanga

PostSubject: Re: Cat food and digestion   Cat food and digestion EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 6:20 am

Darla is a Labrador in disguise. She loves food. We have to keep an eye on her as she will eat our other cats food and given a chance would eat the dogs also. We have her on advance for dry food. Royal canin is her wet food but she also gets fish and chicken however if I sat for to long I think she would eat me! She would never sit patiently waiting for tea rather she let's you know with a typical Mau wail
Back to top Go down
Laura_Wintermuse

PostSubject: Maus and food   Cat food and digestion EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 5:16 pm

tanga wrote:
Darla is a Labrador in disguise. She loves food. We have to keep an eye on her as she will eat our other cats food and given a chance would eat the dogs also. We have her on advance for dry food. Royal canin is her wet food but she also gets fish and chicken however if I sat for to long I think she would eat me! She would never sit patiently waiting for tea rather she let's you know with a typical Mau wail

Will she eat the dog's food or will she actually eat the dogs? Laughing

To be honest, sometimes Wintermuse actually tries to stick her HEAD into my MOUTH because she thinks she smells something interesting in there. I don't think she'd eat me but would she eat the food out of my mouth? You betcha!

Oh, Maus. Win is such a little scavenger. It's like we never feed her! If she's in a dead sleep, and anyone even walks near the kitchen, poink! She's awake! And running! And on the counter, waiting for her fair share!

I mentioned her zyrtec medicine in another post. She got them in pill pockets. She loooved her pill pockets. So much so that in the time between me opening the pouch, putting the pill in, and then letting her eat it out of my hand, she would be DROOLING onto my hand. She was salivating that much at the thought of her treat. I had a pool of saliva in my palm.

Yet for all that, she doesn't eat much. She's small and never eats a full 3 oz can of food in one go.
Back to top Go down
tanga

PostSubject: Re: Cat food and digestion   Cat food and digestion EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 8:29 pm

Well Laura I think if she could she would eat the dog, not out of hunger but just so she wold be gone from her life!!!

We got Darla after our Bengal and at the time we also had an old cattle dog. He passed away last year and we brought a puppy. In the three years she knew our old dog, she did not take to him, in fact she pretty uch terrorised him when possible. She took over the house from the day she walked in.

The puppy threw her for about a month, she didn't know how to deal with it but she is back on top now, ruling the household once again. The puppy keeps her distance as Darla is not one to hold back on the claws and hissing.

Whilst she has never tried to get food from my mouth she also knows the sound of the fridge door opening and is always there to see whats inside for her!!! The again our Bengal is also a bit of a scavanger, going so far as to jump up on the table when we are eating, even though there is food in his bowl. Its an eventful household.

I have to say Darla has never salivated over food but she does sit up on her hind legs and beg from time to time, its sad to see but hey it works most of the time for her.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cat food and digestion   Cat food and digestion Empty

Back to top Go down

Cat food and digestion
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Egyptian Maus :: Egyptian Maus :: All About Maus-
Jump to: