Egyptian Maus

All about Egyptian Maus, the only naturally spotted domestic cat and the first domestic cat, likely worshipped back in ancient Egypt.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Mau Behaviour

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tanga

PostSubject: Mau Behaviour   Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:25 pm

Just a couple of questions for fellow Mau owners

1. Does you Mau wake you up at extremely early hours of the morning?
2. Have you been able to count all the weird and wonderful sounds that you mau makes? (mine is still adding to her collection)
3. Does you Mau love food as much as mine seems to? (I think mine is a Labrador in disguise)
4. Does your Mau rule the household?
5. Do all Mau's LOVE being warm. Ours lies as close as we allow her to the fireplace, slides under our doona on cold nights and loves a fluffy warm blanket on her favorite chair. Its like she can never be warm enough. Mind you Melbourne does get cold!

I find Mau's very complex cats and far less easy to understand than our Bengal who pretty much wants a cuddle, food and sleep in that order. Whilst the Mau is always just watching you!!!!!!!! She has hiding places I still can't work out where, but she just seems to appear from nowhere. Love her to bits but have no idea whats going on in her head.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laura_Wintermuse

PostSubject: Re: Mau Behaviour   Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:54 pm

tanga wrote:

2. Have you been able to count all the weird and wonderful sounds that you mau makes? (mine is still adding to her collection)
3. Does you Mau love food as much as mine seems to? (I think mine is a Labrador in disguise)
5. Do all Mau's LOVE being warm. Ours lies as close as we allow her to the fireplace, slides under our doona on cold nights and loves a fluffy warm blanket on her favorite chair. Its like she can never be warm enough. Mind you Melbourne does get cold!

I find Mau's very complex cats and far less easy to understand than our Bengal who pretty much wants a cuddle, food and sleep in that order. Whilst the Mau is always just watching you!!!!!!!! She has hiding places I still can't work out where, but she just seems to appear from nowhere. Love her to bits but have no idea whats going on in her head.
1. Yes. It was bad when she was a kitten. Now she'll wait until 9 AM if she's going to start waking us up. She'll stick her nose in our eyes or paw at the blankets if we try to put our heads under them to hide from her. She steps on my hair. She'll nip at my nose. I shove her off the bed over and over but she'll never give up.

The solution, though, is to get up, but then lay back down a few minutes later. I swear it works. It resets her mind somehow. Razz

2. Mau noises are the best. I'm trying to find time to make a video of all the different noises she's made in all our other videos.

3. Yes, as you know, our Wintermuse is sooo food motivating.

4. I rule the household. Wink

5. You know, this astounded me. I thought this was just our cat. It is such unusual behavior! She will invite herself under any blanket, human or not. She is always in search of 'toast' as we call it (a toasty place). In the night, she'll paw at the edge of our blanket, and, if we don't respond because we're asleep, she'll nose her way under. When you lift the edge up, she SWOOPS in, plops down (she prefers under or between legs), and then immediately starts to purr. Immediately.

We keep a lot of stuffed animals on our couch. It's also beige, and we have a beige velvet throw on top of it. She will do 1 of 2 things, depending how cold she is:
1. Wiggle between the couch and this blanket and sleep there like a lump. We have no idea where she is until we notice the couch has more texture than usual.
2. She will burrow under the stuffed animals. Another case where we 'lose' her in plain sight. It's adorable. She is obsessed with having a 'lair' as we call it - somewhere dark, warm, and enclosed. Pics here: http://www.myegyptianmau.com/wintermuses-sleeping-problems

Right now, as I type this, she is laying next to me in
1. A pink fluffy cat bed, that is on top of a..
2. Grey sweater of mine, that is on top of a..
3. Reflective heat mat for cats, which is on top of a..
4. Cat cube with a ceiling and scratching posts, which is on top of a..
5. Heating pad, which is on top of...
6. My pullout desk table.

So, to recap, she has about 4 layers of warmth, a ceiling, and elevation. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tanga

PostSubject: Re: Mau Behaviour   Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:17 am

I have tried the getting up and going back to bed, somtimes it works but not always Laura. If Darla deson't want you to sleep there is no chance. She will either annoy you by pawing and meowing and if you put her out and shut the door, she will sit outside it meowing anyway. She is a very persistant cat.
You are right it is unusual, our Bengal is inclinded to sleep on the bed, but never ever in it. He will usually snuggle between us. Whilst La is in the bed snuggled up as close as possible and purring like a train. Acutually you always know she is coming, you can hear her purring as she jumps on the bed! If she sleep on the bed as opposed to in it, she has to have a paw or half her body resting on some part of me and I have even woken up with her on my back, quite content.
It must be colder where you are for your little Mau to want all those layers! They are lovely pictures, she has such a lovely face.

Our two are snuggled in front of the fire as I write this on their beds, I will post a picture of them next time, they look so contented. It must be a wonderful life being a cat in a loved home. farao

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Identicon

PostSubject: Bow chicka Mau Mau   Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:10 pm

Hi Mau Lovers,

I've had Max for about 19 months before I found out he was actually a Mau; quite by accident. He was a rescue kitty and, at first, I thought he was just kind of a FrankenTabby. I'm so glad I found out he is a Mau as I've been able to get to know him much better. He's such a wonderful friend and the most distinctive cat I've ever had. He's got very unique mannerisms and temperamant that I've never encountered in a cat.
In answer to your questions:

1. Yes. Max wants out early in the morning and plays outside until about noon. Then he sleeps for a few hours, wanting back out at about 4pm. He'll stay out until it gets dark, and I bring him in for the night (I live in a remote location with lots of [potentially hostile and hungry] critters). He'll then go back to sleep until about 10pm or so then kick into play mode. We'll play for a while then he sleeps again until 3 or 4 every morning, when he starts making mad dashes around the house, like he's insane; it's really cute. Normally, 9 times out of 10, when he wakes me up I'll indulge him in play time, until he curls up on the edge of my bed and sleeps.

2. He has the weirdest Meau I've ever heard; good weird. It's a cross between a roar and a growl. It's very plaintive, which makes sense because he only meows when he wants someting, usually when I haven't seen his food run out, and especially when he's bored. He also loves to talk to birds and sits on the windowsill imitating their chirping and I'm always surprised at the unusual sounds he makes.

3. Max is 28 months and has just now taken an interest in people food. I feed him Royal Canin 27 (indoor) and he loves it, never having taken an interest in people food. But lately he wants to know what I'm eating and will try to sneak nibbles or licks. His 'thing' though is liquids. He loves people beverages and will stick his head in almost any glass to take a drink. No matter where I have a glass of water, he'll find it to drink out of, and I especially have to keep the toilet closed as he loves drinking out of the toilet - blech! Wine, soda, beer, hot tea especially, he wants to try it all. I don't let him, of course.

4. I am a guest in Max's house. When he wants something (food, play time, outside, to lay where I happen to be) he'll let me know. He's got a very specific temperament but he's very sweet and cute and [usually] gets whatever he wants. I can't resist.

5. I haven't noticed a penchant for warmth. He loves fleece and (faux) fir and is usually on some type of comfy, cozy blanket, but he also loves to sit in the window and look out and even on the coldest days, I usually keep it cracked to let in fresh air, and he doesn't seem to mind. He could sit on any windowsill but will usually chose the one that's cracked.

Other things about Max:

a) He doesn't like to be held. I'll pick him up and he immediately starts purring, but after about five seconds, he starts squirming so I put him back down.

b) He's a total hunter: rodents, birds, insects, snakes. I watched a vole go underground and Max tracked him above ground for about 10 minutes to his exit hole, then crouched and waited patiently, staring at the hole for another 15 minutes - then bazinga! If his catches are alive when he brings them home, I'll save them, although Max is very perturbed about it.

c) He's very loving, but not very physically affectionate. Like I said, he doesn't like to be held, and only rarely jumps on my lap (it's such a rare treat that I sat there for 2 hours while he slept and purred so I could enjoy the lap time). However, he loves to be near me. I think he's sound asleep and I'll leave the room only to find him following me. If I stay in the new room, he'll find a place in close proximity and curl up to continue his nap. He doesn't jump on things I'm working on like every other cat I've had, but he does have to lay right next to it. He'll either stare at me or nap. If I pet him, he'll start purring but immediately walks away, only to return a minute later; tease. At the computer, he'll lay behind my monitor or behind me on the bed.

d) He can't stand to be locked out. If there's a closed door in a room he's in, he has to have it opened. He'll sit at it and stare and eventually paw (without claws) at it for a while. When I take him to the vet, I have to take the carrier door off in the car or he freaks out. He'll bite and claw at the cage door until it's removed, then he settles down to enjoy the ride. He doesn't mind the car at all, unless he's in a confined space. I have to leave the bathroom door open because if I close it he automatically wants in. He also loves sitting in sinks and tubs.

There's a lot more to him, but I'll stop there. I've never had a cat quite like Max and wanted to post to maybe connect with other Mau owners.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kato

PostSubject: Re: Mau Behaviour   Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:45 pm

tanga wrote:

1 Both our maus do this
2 No
3 yes 4 Yes 5 Yes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mau Behaviour   

Back to top Go down

Mau Behaviour
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1