Egyptian Maus

All about Egyptian Maus, the only naturally spotted domestic cat and the first domestic cat, likely worshipped back in ancient Egypt.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Mau medical problems

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Laura_Wintermuse

PostSubject: Mau medical problems   Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:54 pm

My breeder told me that certain medication and dosage can be a problem for Maus. One of her clients lost a kitten because it was given the typical dose of something, but it was too much for the Mau. I've read this on some sites but seen others refute this so I'm not sure what's going on. I didn't want to take a risk with my kitty so I had my breeder's vet neuter her. However, Wintermuse has some allergies, it seems. The vet recommended cortizone, I believe, to ease her sudden coughing. (It was tracheal irritation - if anyone else has this issue, can you post?) His Siamese had the same issue and responded well to the shot. In addition to the coughing, she sometimes had redness on her skin or little bumps.

She got a shot and improved. Then about 6-8 weeks later, a patch of hair fell out on her neck! This was 7 days after a stressful weekend with other cats so I wasn't sure if she caught something from them, had a delayed stress reaction, or had ringworm/allergies/something terrible. Back to the vet we went. They declared it was allergies. They wanted to give her another shot, despite saying it should have been a 6 month thing. We inquired about this apparent about-face, and she said that you can safely get it every 6 weeks.

I declined. I didn't want to take a chance that it was too soon, given this supposed sensitivity to medication. The vet gave us an alternative - 1/4th of a 10 mg Zyrtec every day for 30 days. I spent the next four weeks cutting up tiny allergy pills into quarters and putting them into Greeny's pill pockets. She lovedddd the duck-flavored pill pockets. Getting Zyrtec was the highlight of Wintermuse's day. The problem cleared up. That was around Thanksgiving.

At the beginning of January, her coughing returned and has gotten worse. I've put her back on Zyrtec, but it's hard to tell if it's working. She's still coughing every few days. She has her rabies shots coming up at the beginning of February so I'll see the vet again. She's already getting a bunch of shots so I guess one more won't hurt....

That said, when she got her allergy shot, she jumped and bit through my finger... it was partly my fault and partly the vet's fault, but I'm apprehensive about the whole experience!

I don't want to be over-reacting to some coughing and put my little girl at risk due to over-medication, but I don't want her to keep coughing, either. She lies really flat and hacks like she wants to cough up a hair ball or vomit for 15-60 seconds. (She has never had a hair ball, and we ruled out anything stuck in her throat at the first vet visit.) It's sad to watch. Sad I'm curious to see if this goes away once spring comes and we shut off the central heating and go back to more humid weather.

Other than the coughing and occasional skin redness, she's perfectly healthy. She's slender, energetic, an amazing runner and jumper. She doesn't seem to be short of breath during our sessions.

Anyway, feel free to share if your Egyptian Mau had similar issues.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
tanga

PostSubject: Mau Medical Problems   Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:14 pm

Hello Laura

All my reading has suggested the same, that Mau need to be treated differently from other cats in terms of medications. The problem for me however is that very few vets know much about Mau's. My girl is the only one registered in our shire and I imagine this is true for many other Mau owners (better known as slaves) In fact I don't even think our vet knew what she was.

As far as medical problems, she is relatively free from any. The only treatment I have had Darla at the vets for was she gets occasional "hot spots" This is where the fur falls out in a certain area and is very red (as you have mentioned) Our breeder suggested using a gel but after no imprvement we took her to the vet who gave her a series of cortizone tablets (mmm she loves her tablets...not!) This works well and when she does get an irritation we use this course of action first otherwise is gets worse.

Other than that she is an extremely healthy, fit, typically annoying Mau.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laura_Wintermuse

PostSubject: Coughing and hot spots    Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:22 pm

tanga wrote:
The only treatment I have had Darla at the vets for was she gets occasional "hot spots" This is where the fur falls out in a certain area and is very red (as you have mentioned) Our breeder suggested using a gel but after no imprvement we took her to the vet who gave her a series of cortizone tablets (mmm she loves her tablets...not!) This works well and when she does get an irritation we use this course of action first otherwise is gets worse.

Yep, she has a perpetual hot spot between her legs. I assume it's where litter dust collects and irritates her skin. We try to keep her litter fresh. It's corn-based so it turns to powder after awhile. The allergy pills help as you said.

If it's important medicine, I would try to put Darla's tablets into treat pockets since Win loved that so much.

I just posted at my blog about our latest vet experience. We got through her vaccines A-OK. http://www.myegyptianmau.com/rabies-shots-and-egyptian-maus No side effects or problems. I was relieved.

We're good for another year. She was coughing for a bit in January, and I was getting pretty worried, but I didn't want to end up getting her three shots at the vet - her two vaccines AND an allergy shot. However, once the weather started to improve here and become warmer, she also improved. I wonder if it was just the dry winter air. Certainly humans see a bit more respiratory issues in such weather.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kami girl

PostSubject: Re: Mau medical problems   Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:31 pm

My experience is that Mau's are very healthy. Every allergy or hair problem, coughing, hacking I've had with cats has been due to their diet. Yes, besides us they ALSO should not be eating all those carbs that turn to sugar in their bodies. Some dried cat foods have 60% carbs; absolutely the wrong diet for an obligate carnivore [or us]. Six years ago we changed to a raw meat diet here and it has done wonders in so many ways. Remember that a mouse is a well balanced meal.

We have a fabulous, knowledgeable vet but just like YOUR doctor they are not taught and do not know about nutrition. What your vet knows about cat/dog foods is taught to her by the food manufacturers. As you will find out vets are given horribly wrong information. Years ago I lost cats to serious health issues which I now know are preventable. To help you take the best care of your best friend get this book written by a vet who has it all figured out. You will be amazed. It's the best I've found and the only cat book you will need. "Your Cat," by Elizabeth Hodgkins, DVM - read the book reviews at Amazon.com for more info and to see how others rave about it.

Our best to you,

Kami and her Dad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mau medical problems   

Back to top Go down

Mau medical problems
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1