Egyptian Maus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Egyptian Maus

All about Egyptian Maus, the only naturally spotted domestic cat and the first domestic cat, likely worshipped back in ancient Egypt.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Introduce your Mau!

Go down 
+10
annie10
DestinySara
piapoopie
KuroKat
Bostexan
tanga
Felix26
KatP1985
Laura_Wintermuse
Admin
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Introduce your Mau! Empty
PostSubject: Introduce your Mau!   Introduce your Mau! EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 11:12 pm

Tell us about your Egyptian Mau. Try to use the following format:

Mau's name:
Color:
Breeder:
Any other pets:
Anything else:

Post pics!!
Back to top Go down
http://Www.myegyptianmau.com
Laura_Wintermuse

PostSubject: WinterMuse   Introduce your Mau! EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 11:38 pm

Mau's name: Wintermuse Steppinrazor
Color: Silver
Breeder: Arietta
Your Country: USA
Any other pets: No
Anything else:
1. Wintermuse will soon be the Silver Mau used on Animal Planet's website.
2. Wintermuse has a website! MyEgyptianMau.com
3. She also has youtube videos! https://www.youtube.com/user/MyEgyptianMau

Introduce your Mau! EgyptianMau_Wintermuse_8037_b-770x513
Back to top Go down
KatP1985

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your Mau!   Introduce your Mau! EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 10:40 am

Mau's name: Harlequin Katzmau
Breeder: Lavinia at Katzmau in New South Wales
Your Country: Australia

Introduce your Mau! Img_0812
Harley celebrating his 1st birthday on December 2nd last year. Yes he is wearing the hat!
Back to top Go down
Laura_Wintermuse

PostSubject: Hi!   Introduce your Mau! EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 2:53 pm

Thanks for posting (and emailing me as well a few months ago Smile). The picture has some yellow in it - is his coat pure white or beige-y white or grey? My girl's undercoat is true white and grey, but I've seen Maus with a blonde tint to them online. I was wondering if that's a trick of the light or the camera or something you can see in real life.
Back to top Go down
KatP1985

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your Mau!   Introduce your Mau! EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 10:37 am

Hi Laura,
Yeah he has quite blonde colouring on his belly and around his chin and chest - he's definitely not just grey and white. One day I'll pin him down and take a photo of his stomach so everyone can see! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Felix26

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your Mau!   Introduce your Mau! EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 3:48 pm

Mau's name: Cleopatra of Buteurs
Color: black-smoke
Breeder: Beatrix Schütz - Buteurs Cattery (Partner of Arietta in Austria)
Your Country: Austria
Anything else:

Cleopatra's Blog: cleopatra-themau.blogspot.com

[img]Introduce your Mau! Img_0211[/img]

This Picture shows Cleopatra with about 5 months.

Back to top Go down
tanga

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your Mau!   Introduce your Mau! EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 6:51 pm

Hi All

Cat's Name: Katzmau Daria (Prefers Darla)
Color: Silver Classic. For those not familiar with a classic, they do not have spots but rather stripes and blobs! They cannot be used for show purposes. Usually the stripes and blobs match on wither side. Darla has the most vivid green eyes I have ever seen!
Breeder: Katzmau
Other Pets: Yes Bengal (Male) Age 4 Dog: Australian Cattle Dog (Female) Age 6 months
[url=Introduce your Mau! 1]darla[/url]

Last edited by tanga on Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:31 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : trying to put in photo)
Back to top Go down
Laura_Wintermuse

PostSubject: Cleopatra   Introduce your Mau! EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 5:00 pm

Quote :

[img]Introduce your Mau! Img_0211[/img]

This Picture shows Cleopatra with about 5 months.

Cleopatra looks so sweet. What delicate bones! So slender, too. My girl is petite and slender - at 1.5 years, she is 7.5 lbs and that's as big as she'll get, I think - but Cleopatra at 5 months looks even smaller. They do say black is slimming.. Wink

Thanks so much for posting. I checked out your blog! I can't read German so I looked mostly at the pictures. Your girl has such an inquisitive face. Is she mischievous? I can tell from her eyes that she has a unique spirit. Smile

Back to top Go down
Laura_Wintermuse

PostSubject: Darla   Introduce your Mau! EmptySun Mar 25, 2012 5:09 pm

tanga wrote:
Hi All

Cat's Name: Katzmau Daria (Prefers Darla)
Color: Silver Classic. For those not familiar with a classic, they do not have spots but rather stripes and blobs! They cannot be used for show purposes. Usually the stripes and blobs match on wither side. Darla has the most vivid green eyes I have ever seen!
Breeder: Katzmau
Other Pets: Yes Bengal (Male) Age 4 Dog: Australian Cattle Dog (Female) Age 6 months
[url=Introduce your Mau! 1]darla[/url]

Thanks for posting. What an interesting cat. And another Australian! Both you and Kat used Katzmau as a breeder. I wonder if you know each other.. Wink

I've heard of classics before. Before I read the description, I thought your girl looked a little like a bengal! What a broad face. Looking at Kat's picture, I wonder if your breeder uses a stock that has a sturdy musculature. In contrast, my Mau is more delicate and petite. This is why I think trading photos is so informative!

Your Darla is a lovely cat.

One thing I find interesting about classics is that I see some people use them as a 'loophole' to try to say their shelter-adopted tabby is a Mau. It's weird. I want to say to them - Your cat is your beloved pet. It's wonderful. It doesn't need to be a Mau. It probably isn't a Mau if it didn't come from a breeder. Yet people argue on the internet about it and invoke classics as to how it could be possible...
Back to top Go down
tanga

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your Mau!   Introduce your Mau! EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 8:05 pm

Hello Laura

Most assuredly Darla and Harley would be from the same stud cat. Katzmu are only one of three Mau breeders in Australia and there is a further breeder in New Zealand, so there are not alot of Mau's in the Southern Hemisphere. George and Lavinia have only one stud cat and approx 4-5 Queens in their breeding stock. If I recall correctly the male was imported from the UK. The blood lines here are very limited and I don't see this changing in the near future.

I guess because Bengals also have Mau in their Breedling lines as do most modern cat breeds then Darla does have the appearance of a Bengal. We have both a Mau and a Bengal and when you see them together they look nothing alike. What distinguishes the Mau from all other cat breeds is their loose skin flap and the amazing gooseberry almond shaped eyes.

If you look at the Native Egyptian Mau (those in Egypt at this current time) very few are spotted, most are striped like a regular tabby or some of the striped Bengals. They are also either bronzed, red or "Blue", I think its only through cats breed originally in India that you get the silver Mau. The EMRO (Egyptian Mau Resuce Organization) website is worth looking at as it shows you what the mau's in egypt look like. EMRO do an amazing job rescuing Mau's from the street and rehousing them all over the world. I have sponsored two cats and both have gone on to find new homes.

I think like all purebreeds whether it cat or dog you can only be assured that you will get a true reflection of the breed if you get it from a breeder. Whilst a pet shop or pound will say that yes it a pure breed whatever, you can't be 100% right and if you are after a particular breed for whatever reason you should be going to a breeder. This is not to say cross breeds or your domestic tabby are not good pets but if you are after specific attributes in your pet then you need to find a good breeder.

Me personally I love all cats, they are all beautiful and have individual personalities but I am also a dog lover. Great to hear your thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Bostexan

PostSubject: Ladies and gentlemen, meet Dizzy   Introduce your Mau! EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 7:07 pm

Mau's name: Dizzy Stone
Color:Bronze
Breeder:I honestly can't remember. Somewhere in North TX
Your Country: United States
Any other pets:Weasel (a ferret)
Anything else: We got Dizzy when my son was an infant and they have been best friends ever since. There was a bit of a power struggle in our home, but after about a year Dizzy finally conceded to the fact that I was the alpha. He was purchased as a pet and never pampered. He eats Frisky's and turns his nose up at wet food. The only time he's ever been to the vet (other than vaccinations and check-ups) was to get some antibiotics to clear up an infected bee sting. Dizzy likes to catch bees and pull their wings off. I have a pile of bees and a pile of wings on my porch right now. All and all, he's the best cat I've ever owned. Plus, he's decimated the rodent population of the entire neighborhood. And living in Boston, that's no easy task!

Introduce your Mau! 2656_1024510180113_3499713_n
Back to top Go down
Laura_Wintermuse

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your Mau!   Introduce your Mau! EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 7:14 pm

Bostexan wrote:

Anything else: We got Dizzy when my son was an infant and they have been best friends ever since. There was a bit of a power struggle in our home, but after about a year Dizzy finally conceded to the fact that I was the alpha. He was purchased as a pet and never pampered. He eats Frisky's and turns his nose up at wet food. The only time he's ever been to the vet (other than vaccinations and check-ups) was to get some antibiotics to clear up an infected bee sting. Dizzy likes to catch bees and pull their wings off. I have a pile of bees and a pile of wings on my porch right now. All and all, he's the best cat I've ever owned. Plus, he's decimated the rodent population of the entire neighborhood. And living in Boston, that's no easy task!

What a cute photo. Are you saying he is an outdoor cat..? You let him wander around Boston? I'm afraid that someone would steal my girl if she ever went outside unattended.. Sad

Wintermuse loves bugs like yours. She has special noises for them and will try to jump at the ceiling for them. She will perch on the back of the couch and leap up with no care for her personal safety. She just traps them under her paw and eats them, though. No wing torture! Dizzy sounds like a character.

He looks big - how heavy is he? Any shots of his face?
Back to top Go down
Bostexan

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your Mau!   Introduce your Mau! EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 7:37 pm

Yes Laura, Dizzy is an indoor/outdoor cat. He sleeps in the house most nights, but goes out whenever he wants. As far as someone snatching him, If they can catch him they're in for a surprise. He can be quite vicious with unknown people. But I've clocked him at 30 mph, so good luck trying to catch him. He used to race me down the street when I would drive to work. He'd be right with me until I hit 3rd gear. And ill get some face shots online. He's got great markings. Egyptian blood lines. Both parents were brought in from Egypt, so he's got a very defined scarab.

Introduce your Mau! 24199_1228520160235_1029941_n
Back to top Go down
KuroKat

PostSubject: Sammi   Introduce your Mau! EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 5:18 pm

Hi everyone! I searched around this website to figure out if mixed breed cats were permitted here, but couldn't seem to find anything conclusive one way or the other. I'm fairly certain my little girl is half Mau, and believe I could learn a lot about how to best take care of her from those of you with pure bred "fur kids"! That said, if you'd prefer to keep this forum strictly to folks with full-fledged Maus, I do understand. Just let me know. Smile

Mau's name: Sammi
Color: Smoke
Breeder: Rescued from Homeward Trails in Washington DC
Your Country: United States
Any other pets: nope!
Anything else: As a first time cat owner, but long time pet sitter, I had never realized how sweet, loyal, silly, and all-around wonderful cats could be. Sammi is there at the door every day when I come home from to work to greet me, "guarded" my bed from other pets (we used to share an apartment, but now live by ourselves) after a surgery so that no one would accidentally walk on me, and is always ready to cuddle or play. She tends to be very skittish around new people, but once they've earned her trust, Sammi absolutely *has* to be on top of them if they're sitting down, occasionally dropping toys in their lap and making her own unique brand of meow (more of a chirp/chuff, really) to let them know they're supposed to be entertaining her. She's really an amazing cat, and makes my life that much better just for being in it.

Introduce your Mau! Sammi1
Back to top Go down
piapoopie

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your Mau!   Introduce your Mau! EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 12:40 am

Introduce your Mau! Lostki11

Hi I'm Pia and I was found by my now owner in a backyard. I'm not sure if I'm an Egyptian Mau or not. My vet told my owner he thinks I have some Egyptian Mau blood. I sort of look like and behave like another cat I saw on here named Wintermuse. I love to bug the hell out of my owner when my owner is busy and not paying attention to me but when my owner pays attention to me the one thing that keeps me around are treats, otherwise I could give a damn and I will find other better things to do. I love to try to scratch books my owner opens while my owner is reading them.

I'll post more pictures of me. This is an old picture when I first was found. My owner thinks my mother got run over by a vehicle shortly after my owner found me because my owner saw a similar cat on the road dead. I want to know my background and possibly if I do have any Egyptian Mau in me. Can anyone in this forum help me? I can post more pictures of me soon. Thank you all.

xoxoPia
Back to top Go down
Laura_Wintermuse

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your Mau!   Introduce your Mau! EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 1:16 am

What a cute kitten.

Post some newer photos so we can see Pia's coat. It's hard to tell anything from a kitten because even baby Maus go through the 'fuzzy' stage where they have a frizzy halo that obscures their spots.
Back to top Go down
Laura_Wintermuse

PostSubject: Re: Sammi   Introduce your Mau! EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 1:24 am

KuroKat wrote:
I had never realized how sweet, loyal, silly, and all-around wonderful cats could be. Sammi is there at the door every day when I come home from to work to greet me, "guarded" my bed from other pets (we used to share an apartment, but now live by ourselves) after a surgery so that no one would accidentally walk on me, and is always ready to cuddle or play. She tends to be very skittish around new people, but once they've earned her trust, Sammi absolutely *has* to be on top of them if they're sitting down, occasionally dropping toys in their lap and making her own unique brand of meow (more of a chirp/chuff, really) to let them know they're supposed to be entertaining her. She's really an amazing cat, and makes my life that much better just for being in it.

Introduce your Mau! Sammi1

So sorry I didn't greet you earlier! My free-time evaporated in the past few months.

Hard to tell from that photo but Sammi does have a smoke Mau look to her coat, with the black on top and the white underneath, but it's hard to know for sure. I've only seen a smoke Mau twice in person so I am the last person to be identifying them.

Regarding how wonderful cats can be - I really think Maus are a superconcentration of this. I grew up with cats and always loved them, but something about Wintermuse waiting for me at the door, making all her noises (yep, the good old chirp/chuff/snort/sigh/murr/purr/mreh!) as if we're having a conversation, bringing over toys.. she seems so PRESENT, like she's really here and really alive and completely human.

Not a week goes by that I don't think that so many cat lovers out there would be astounded to know a Mau. They are such wonderful companions. Loyal, loving, active, intelligent. All the best of a cat and dog, in my mind. I wish they weren't so rare so that everyone could know the joy of having a little gremlin jump right into their showers with them-- I mean, jump right into their hearts and under their blankets at night. Wink
Back to top Go down
DestinySara

PostSubject: Introducing Kiya   Introduce your Mau! EmptyTue Nov 12, 2013 10:49 pm

Kiya was born 08/07/13. She's 14 wks tomorrow and has been with me for a week and some days. She's clingy and vocal but so loving. She thinks she belongs in my lap and follows me everywhere. I should have named her shadow. Her i'm hungry meow is a squeak like someone stepping on a rubber duckie and her regular meow is a raspy, scratchy meow like wintermuse does. (her old lady voice.) She hates to be held and will fight to the teeth to not have it.
Cant figure out how to post pics yet but when I do, I'll let you know.
Back to top Go down
annie10

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your Mau!   Introduce your Mau! EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 7:38 pm

Introduce your Mau! <a href=Introduce your Mau! 20131008_104132_zps96efb555" />

tis is my mau bailey hes a 18 month old boy who is deaf..he was one of two boys one was put to sleep and bailey was rescued now hes in my care..were  in the uk .hes such a mischieveious boy who steals and always wants food..he loves his treats...plus has just started trying to eat from my plate too!!Laughing  his favourite toy is his mouse...he tries to stop me from woking on my pc..he sits in front of the screen and wont budge until i give him fuss..
Back to top Go down
Mew

PostSubject: Is my cat an egyptian mau?   Introduce your Mau! EmptySun Dec 08, 2013 11:10 am

I found a kitten 4 months ago. he was thrown away by his owner (maybe) when he was still baby. So I brought him home and adopt him.
his name is Mew. from the very first sight, he looks pretty different from other domestic cat here in Indonesia. many people said he looks like a cheetah.
so I heard about egyptian mau. I think my kitten looks like egyptian mau. but I am not totally sure.
here is a picture of my kitten. anyone please confirm if my cat is an egyptian mau.
Introduce your Mau! Photo.php?fbid=10201219011972732&set=pb.1094066963.-2207520000.1386510003.&type=3&src=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-prn2%2F1403370_10201219011972732_1503367676_o.jpg&smallsrc=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-frc1%2F1450685_10201219011972732_1503367676_n

Introduce your Mau! Photo.php?fbid=10201472067538963&set=a.1124731633855.2020673
Back to top Go down
tmclemore

tmclemore

PostSubject: My new Egyptian Mau   Introduce your Mau! EmptyFri Jan 10, 2014 12:16 pm

Mau's name: Nathalia Grace
Breeder: Wild Trax Exotics
Your Country:  USA
Any other pets: Nathalia will be an only child.....one very spoiled, very loved only child!
Anything else: I found this site during my research on Maus, as I lost my girl of 12 years to kidney failure Sad  I know enough to know that she wasn't fully Mau, but she was pretty darn close. She had the bronze coloring and every physical and personality trait that make the Maus such wonderful creatures - the skin flap, the gooseberry green eyes, the wiggle tail, the complete devotion to her one person....the list goes on. I was really conflicted between getting another Mau or a rescue, and it came down to all those personality traits that endeared my girl to me......I knew I had to have a Mau. I found a breeder a few hours away from me in Arkansas called Wild Trax Exotics, who has been wonderful to work with. My new girl was born on November 7th, and will be coming home with me on January 31st - and I am beside myself with anticipation! Below are pictures that Tracy, the breeder I am working with, has taken of my new girl, who I have named Nathalia Grace.  First picture is at 4 weeks of age, the next two are at 7 weeks, and the last one was taken at almost 9 weeks.

[url=<a]Introduce your Mau! Nat4weeks-Copy_zps23c4cb40[/url]
She's already stalking things (the camera, in this case) at 4 weeks old!

[url=<a]Introduce your Mau! Nat7weeks-Copy_zpsf34ae772[/url]
7 weeks and growing fast

[url=<a]Introduce your Mau! Nat7weeks-Copy_zpsb90740f4[/url]
This face could melt the coldest of hearts Smile

[url=<a]Introduce your Mau! Nat9weeks_zps0f39424d[/url]Nat is on the far left - she's the biggest in a litter of 4 girls

Back to top Go down
http://www.visionsbytammy.photoshelter.com
kato

kato

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your Mau!   Introduce your Mau! EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 7:09 pm

Congratulations  cheers on getting your beautiful Mau. They are one of the best pedigree cats ever. We had always had rescue moggies and came across the silver Mau at a cat show six years ago and just fell in love with them. We have two and they grow so quick  Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
tmclemore

tmclemore

PostSubject: Nathalia is hone now    Introduce your Mau! EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 1:21 am

kato wrote:
Congratulations  cheers on getting your beautiful Mau. They are one of the best pedigree cats ever. We had always had rescue moggies and came across the silver Mau at a cat show six years ago and just fell in love with them. We have two and they grow so quick  Very Happy.

Thank you so much Smile 

She is home with me now and adjusting great......she is far more than I could asked for in a bbay kitty, and is very quickly taking over my household! More pics to come soon Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.visionsbytammy.photoshelter.com
Laura_Wintermuse

PostSubject: Ears and tails   Introduce your Mau! EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 1:46 am

tmclemore wrote:
First picture is at 4 weeks of age, the next two are at 7 weeks, and the last one was taken at almost 9 weeks.

Please post some photos when she is older, too! I am curious to see how she grows up, spot- and face-wise. Such big ears! And a short tail. I have said this before, but I'll repeat that I am so endlessly fascinated about the differences between Maus and their breeders. It's all the same cat, and the same basic genetic material, but they still manage to have a distinct look between 'families'.

For instance, Wintermuse has a long tail, and our new Mau kitten, Solstice, has an even *longer* tail. He also, surprisingly, has 'lynx ears'. They are normal sized but tipped with a tiny bit of black and a nearly imperceptible tuft of fur. We'll see if that tuft will stick around when he grows up. This is why I noticed your girl's ears and tail.
Back to top Go down
Laura_Wintermuse

PostSubject: Solstice Happyfeet   Introduce your Mau! EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 2:08 am

I got an Egyptian Mau kitten for Christmas. We had been thinking of taking on Wintermuse's mother, a black smoke named Mafdet, because she was done with breeding and might be a good friend to Wintermuse. We always hesitated, though. Part of this was Wintermuse's territorial nature (she once backed a Maine Coon into a corner and made it cry) and the rest was my husband's general reluctant nature. Years passed, and Wintermuse remained an only child.

Introduce your Mau! IMG_3513-688x516

Then this little boy Mau appeared, and within a few days of learning of his existence, he was ours. We named him Solstice, because that was the day we received him. He is a wonderful little cat. We've had him for 6 weeks now, and he's about 5.5 months old.

He never had a 'fuzzies' stage, nor did his father, Happyfeet. His spots are a true black-on-white, whereas Wintermuse can be more of a silver-grey. As I mentioned in the last post, he has black-tipped ears and an extra long tail. He is positively tiny as well. He was the runt of his litter by far, and Evelyn thinks he will grow to only 6-7 lbs.. very slightly smaller than Wintermuse, a female.

Introduce your Mau! IMG_1664-5-513x770

His personality is fantastic. He is unrelentingly cheerful and laid back. Wintermuse is a bit of an uptight, anxious cheerleader type - always bathing, always being proper with her paws crossed in her lap, regally posing around the house, but puffing and fleeing at any loud noise. Solstice, in contrast, is a California surfer. He runs around on little bow-legs, he licks mohawks into himself, he fears nothing, and he thinks everyone and everything wants to be his friend. Even Wintermuse. Despite the constant biting, clawing, hissing, and growling.

I posted about their issues getting along on my blog. They are making very slow progress. They fight/wrestle every night for two 30 minute sessions. It's like they are on an internal timer of some sort. However, they also accidentally? slept together last night so that's something!

Introduce your Mau! IMG_1740-10-688x458

And here's Wintermuse, grown up to 3 years. Still beautiful.
Introduce your Mau! IMG_1773-11-688x718

Last edited by Laura_Wintermuse on Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Introduce your Mau!   Introduce your Mau! Empty

Back to top Go down

Introduce your Mau!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Egyptian Maus :: Egyptian Maus :: All About Maus-
Jump to: